Catering & Conventions Directors consult with customers to determine objectives and requirements for events such as meetings, conferences, and conventions. They conduct postevent evaluations to determine how future events could be improved, and maintain records of event aspects, including financial details. They negotiate contracts with service providers and suppliers such as hotels, convention centers, and speakers. Catering & Conventions Directors meet with sponsors and organizing committees to plan the events’ scope, to establish and monitor budgets, and to review administrative procedures and event progress. They publicize conference, convention and trades show services, and ensure compliance with applicable regulations and laws, satisfaction of participants, and resolution of any problems that arise. They hire, train, and supervise support staff required for events, and also develop event topics, and choose featured speakers.
- Active listener, service oriented and strong communication skills
- Critical thinking, ability to identify strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems
- Strong writing and time management skills
- Complex problem solving skills
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends
- Good project management and organization skills
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in hospitality